Keen to get started? To help you understand the process, here is a general outline of how I approach copywriting projects:
Step 1: Get in touch!
Drop me a line! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, use the contact form or call 0410 513 736. Let me know what you need (eg. website copy, flyer, brochure, blog series) and what product/service you want to promote. The more information you can provide, the better, as my fees are per project rather than by the hour.
I will ask you some questions to get a better idea of the scope of the project, then email you a quote. Please note that my quotes are based on the information provided, and may be amended if the scope of the project changes significantly. Once you are happy to go ahead, a 50% payment upfront is required before I can get started on your project.
Step 2: Creative brief
The creative brief is the heart and soul of successful copy! So that we both have a full understanding of the project, I will email you a brief to complete before I start writing. Don’t worry, you don’t have to write a thesis! (And if you would prefer to go over the brief on the phone, that’s fine – let me know and we’ll organise a time). The brief asks you some simple questions, such as:
- What product or service would you like to promote?
- What makes you and your product/service different from the rest?
- What is the copy for? Eg. Blog or series of blogs, brochure, flyer, website copy.
- If for a website, what pages are required? (eg. Home, Services, About Us, etc.)
- Do you have an idea of word count, or are you happy to go with my recommendation?
- Who is your target audience?
- What keywords do you want to use?
Step 3: Down to work
Now I can get started on your copy! As well as the actual writing, I will research your industry, conduct a competitor analysis, and research keywords (if required).
If the project is large (eg. copy for multiple website pages or a blog series), I will write a couple of pages and email them to you. This is so I can make sure we’re on the same page with the copy’s style of voice. After receiving your feedback, I will continue writing the remainder of your copy.
Please note I provide copy in MS Word format (.docx).
Step 4: Revision
I will provide you with three versions of your copy – first draft, second draft and final draft. This allows for two rounds of revisions. Additional amendments will be charged by the hour. In the second and final drafts, I use the track changes option in MS Word so you can see exactly what has been changed.
This is an exciting time! Remember, this is your project – the quicker you can revise the copy and get back to me, the quicker I can send you the final copy! Please email me any amendments within 10 business days of receiving your first and second drafts. If I don’t hear from you within 10 business days, I will presume you don’t require any changes and email you your final invoice. If you need longer than 10 business days, no worries! But please let me know within 10 business days of receiving your draft.
Step 5: Final payment
I will send you your final invoice with the second draft (or final draft, if you only require one round of revisions). Please note my payment terms are 14 days.
Step 6: Celebrate!
You now have some killer copy in your hands! Time to put it to work!
For more on the legal nitty gritty, please read my terms and conditions.
- Copyright for all writing and copywriting remains with Full Stop until the final payment is made. Until this time, the client is prohibited from publishing, reproducing, altering or distributing any written material produced by Full Stop.
- If the client’s invoice becomes overdue, Full Stop will send you an email reminder. If your invoice is not paid within 14 days of receiving this email, you will be liable to pay a 25% surcharge late payment fee. These terms will be outlined in the late invoice email.